Repairs will be performed on the Firebag Bridge abutment on the Fort Chipewyan Winter, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo announced today.
Repairs on the bridge will start on February 1, 2010 and will continue for approximately two to three weeks. Please exercise extreme caution as construction crews will be working on or near the road. The ice bridge will remain in operation during the repairs and no delays should be experienced.
The weight limit on the Fort Chipewyan Winter Road is 45,000 kilograms. This is the maximum weight permitted on the winter road this year. The road is usually open until March 15, depending on the deteriorations caused by weather conditions.
The public must be aware of the following:
- Extreme caution should be exercised by anyone using the road.
- Travelers are asked to be aware of workers, water trucks and equipment on the road as contractors continue to work on the road. Vehicles must slow down while passing graders as graders may be pulling tires.
- Watch for large transport vehicles on the road.
- Signage installation and maintenance will be ongoing, watch for work crews.
- Exercise extreme caution while passing flooding crews in the delta.
- Ramps at some river and creek crossings are steep and slippery.
- Travelers must obey the posted speed limit on ice bridges. (5 km per hour over 5000 kg, 15 km per hour under 5000 kg)
There are no regular services such as road patrol and gas and cell phone coverage is very limited on the winter road. Travelers must be prepared for emergency situations.